Become a Member
Join the only global organisation in the museum field. With more than 40,000 members in over 141 countries and territories, ICOM (International Council of Museums) is a unique global network of institutions and museum professionals that will open up new opportunities for you.
ICOM is the voice of museum professionals on an international stage and raises public cultural awareness through global networks and co-operation programmes. Whether you are an individual or institutional member, your ICOM membership will grant you a number of advantages for your professional development and contribute to the future of the international museum community.
By becoming an ICOM member, you can access a range of professional membership benefits, including:
- Membership of up to four of ICOM’s International Committees (subject specialist groups).
- Demonstrating support for the international museum community and supporting museum professionals in developing nations. *
- Access to ICOM online publications, tools, learning, and professional standards.
- Access to ICOM conferences and discounts on partner events.
- Free access and preferential booking for ICOM PAKISTAN’s online 2021 Working Internationally Festival.
- Receiving ICOM News, ICOM’s monthly digital magazine.
- Regular email bulletins from ICOM PAKISTAN with the latest news and opportunities for working internationally.
- Discounted or free entry to many museums, galleries and exhibitions in the PAKISTAN and across the world with the ICOM membership card.
- Involvement in ICOM’s international missions to shape the museum profession, advocate for standards, support the fight against illicit traffic in cultural goods, and cooperate in emergency preparedness and response actions.
- Subscribe to Museum International magazine (online or in print).
* A proportion of your Membership Fee goes to subsidise the cost of ICOM membership for museum professionals in developing nations.
If you have any questions about renewing your membership or joining ICOM, please contact us at email@example.com
Individual Membership (Voting)
Regular: Rs. 5,000
Retired: Rs. 3,000
Regular Individual membership is open to working museums professionals and consultants providing services, knowledge and expertise to museums as their main professional activity.
Retired Individual membership is open to individuals who have retired from professional museum work (in an institution or as a consultant), are no longer working in a paid capacity and do not intend to return to paid work.
Active museum volunteers may join depending on their CV and a letter of recommendation from the museum(s) at which they volunteer.
Institutional Membership (Voting)
Institutional membership is open to museums and institutions in the PAKISTAN and British Overseas Territories that comply with the definition of a museum as defined in Article 2.1 of ICOM’s Internal Rules https://icom.museum/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2017_ICOM_InternalRules_EN.pdf
It is a great way for your museum to invest in your staff, to benefit from international collaboration and to show your support for the wider museum sector.
Student Membership (non-voting)
Student: Rs. 3,000
Student membership is open to undergraduate, master and PhD students enrolled in a museum-related academic programme – museology, museum studies, museum education, museum management, conservation, art history, or equivalent museum-related subject course.
Supporting Membership (non-voting)
Supporting membership is open to individuals and organisations providing substantial assistance to ICOM both financially and otherwise, due to an interest in museums and the international co-operation between museums.
Examples of supporting members include museum trustees and museum board members/board of directors, legal professionals representing museums, media (book and magazine publishers), architects and designers (and companies) providing services to museums but not as their main activity.
Who is not eligible to join?
- Retired museum volunteers.
- Any organisations or individuals participating directly or indirectly in dealing (buying or selling for profit, including commercial galleries) in art, cultural artefacts, natural or cultural heritage.
The ICOM Card
As an ICOM member, you will receive an ICOM membership card which gives you free access to many museums and exhibitions all over the world. The ICOM card is one of the most widely-recognised membership programmes for museums in the world and is accepted at thousands of venues. If you visit museums regularly, the ICOM Card will quickly save you the cost of your membership fee.
Acceptance of the ICOM card is discretionary. If you plan to visit a specific museum or exhibition in the PAKISTAN or abroad (especially popular museums and blockbuster exhibitions), we always recommend you contact the museum ahead of your visit to check if the ICOM card is accepted and if there is a booking procedure. This is especially important during the current COVID-19 pandemic and as museums in the PAKISTAN and around the world are subject to different operating rules. Capacity will be limited for museum and exhibition entry for the foreseeable future.
- Institutions joining ICOM PAKISTAN receive multiple membership cards that can be used by staff, as well as access to an international museum community where potential partnerships and programmes can be developed.
- ICOM PAKISTAN is a conduit for conversations and action on international issues such as material cultural heritage at risk in zones of conflict, intangible cultural heritage, professional development and ethical standards to guide practice in a changing world.
- Priority booking and discounted tickets for the annual Working Internationally Conference, the only PAKISTAN museums conference with a dedicated international focus.
- Regular ICOM PAKISTAN news bringing you the latest news and opportunities for working internationally.
- Networking opportunities with other PAKISTAN museum professionals interested in working internationally.